Academic Advisement and Special Groups

Academic Advisement

East Peoria Campus • CC200 • (309) 694-5281
ICC Peoria • Arbor Hall • A02C • (309) 694-5281

Students who want to enroll in 17 semester hours or more must have their Student Success Advisor approval.

Part-time students are strongly encouraged to seek advisement before enrolling each semester.

Academic Advisement can help you plan your schedule and register for classes; choose classes that will transfer to four-year colleges or universities; develop a program of study that lists all the classes you need to meet Illinois Central College’s certificate and/or degree requirements; find a Student Success Advisor after you decide on a program and/or plan of study; discover other support services available on campus; and explore curriculums that match your interests and abilities.

The name of your Student Success Advisor can be obtained in MyICC and the Counseling Services office, Room CC200. Contact your Student Success Advisor during scheduled office hours.

TRIO Student Support Services

East Peoria Campus • 308B • (309) 694-8944

Trio which stands for “Turning Roadblocks Into Opportunities” is a federally funded program by the Department of Education that is designed for students at Illinois Central College to help increase college retention and success. Trio a free academic support program improves academic skills while enhancing personal and professional development of students. Trio takes great pride in assisting students with completing a degree, earning a certificate or transfer to a four-year college or university. Members of Trio are provided with a wide range of services to help them reach their academic goals and dreams. Services range from:

  • Academic Advising

  • Career Guidance

  • Tutoring Services/Study Groups

  • Financial Aid/Transfer Assistance

  • Cultural/Educational Activities

  • Scholarships to 4 Year Colleges & Universities

  • Workshops/Leadership Conferences

If you would like to become a member of Trio, you can stop by our office at the ICC East Peoria Campus Room 308B or call us at (309) 694-8944. Or visit

Underage Student Enrollment

Students under the age of 16 can enroll at ICC on a part-time basis in up to seven credit hours.  Students who wish to enroll in any course(s) must petition the Dean of Students. Students will be asked to complete the appeal form, to complete any assessment placement testing or provide results of ACT/SAT tests, to provide a transcript including all completed coursework from the current school, and to provide additional information as indicated on the form. Once the documentation is provided, an appointment can be made by calling the Dean of Students at (309) 694-5573. It is recommended that the petition be made a minimum of two weeks prior to the course start date.


The paperwork and initial meeting with the Dean of Students will serve as an evaluation of the proposed coursework, as well as the academic and emotional preparedness of the student for college-level coursework. The Dean of Students will confer with the appropriate faculty member and dean prior to the face-to-face meeting with the student to determine the academic preparedness needed and any potential challenges or exceptional characteristics of the course that may be relevant to the decision. The faculty member and dean have the ability to deny entrance into a class. If the faculty staffing for a class changes, the course enrollment will be reviewed with the new faculty member.

Students will not be permitted to enroll in developmental coursework unless there are extenuating circumstances that require this enrollment. The Dean of Students will use the faculty member’s feedback and recommendation in determining student eligibility for an individual course in conjunction with the face-to-face meeting.

The face-to-face meeting will discuss course content, course modality, academic rigor, FERPA, safety and legal issues, and other important aspects of underage enrollment. The student must also provide a letter from the school principal or other designated official that indicates their recommendation or support of the student for college-level coursework. If the enrollment is approved by all parties involved, the student will be allowed to enroll in the course.

Dual Enrollment

The student must be enrolled on a full-time basis at a district elementary or secondary institution or be officially enrolled in a home education program.

The student must be at least 16 years old to enroll at ICC.  Dual credit students can enroll in an unlimited amount of dual credit courses taught by an Illinois instructor.

International Student VISA (F-1)

International Student Office • (309) 694-5553 •

Any international students requiring an F-1 (nonimmigrant student) visa are required to contact the International Education Office, (309) 694-5553 or about necessary documentation, policy and procedure for compliance of US immigration law. The International Student Coordinator is the institution’s Primary Designated School Officer (PDSO) on all visa/immigration requirements and is responsible for collecting documentation for institutional sponsorship of any F-1 visa by creating a Form I-20. For an international student to qualify for admittance to ICC and a supporting Form I-20 they must provide: financial documentation to prove sufficient funds are available for enrollment, proof of proficiency in the English language in reading, writing, speaking and listening, high school/college transcripts, passport information and supplemental documentation (if necessary). All students (including F-1 students) are required to take Reading and Math Placement Tests before advisement and registration. A condition of the F-1 visa, students are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours for fall and spring semesters, with a minimum of 9 in-person credit hours.

International Students requiring an F-1 (nonimmigrant student) visas are required to provide proof of English Language Proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and listening.

Students can demonstrate English proficiency by:

  • Providing official English Proficiency Test results within the last 2 years with the following minimum scores:

    • TOEFL ibt: 59

    • IELTS: 5.0

    • Duolingo: 80

Prospective students on any other visa/immigration status should first consult Enrollment Management. Resources and support are available to all international students through the International Education Office.

Veterans Affairs

Veterans Affairs Office • (309) 694-5562

Illinois Central College will assist veterans and eligible dependents of veterans in navigating the college enrollment process and completing the proper forms required for monthly education benefits and will serve as a liaison between the student and the US Department of Veteran Affairs. Certification requests must be submitted by the veteran or their eligible dependent(s) each semester to the ICC Veterans Affairs office to ensure timely and proper enrollment certification through the US Department of Veteran Affairs.

Requirements for Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607 are as follows:

  • Copy of DD-214 member 4 or DD-2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility)

  • Transcript of any previous college coursework from each institution previously attended (if applicable)

  • Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veteran Affairs for the eligible education benefit

The ICC Veterans Affairs Coordinator is available to answer questions about Veteran benefits and to monitor student degree plans and academic progress.

ICC also accepts the Illinois National Guard, Illinois Veterans and Illinois MIA/POW grants. A request to use these benefits must be submitted by the veteran each semester to the ICC Veterans Affairs office to ensure tuition is paid. For eligibility questions, please contact the ICC Veterans Affairs office at (309) 694-5562.

The law requires that educational assistance benefits to veterans and eligible dependents be discontinued when the student ceases to maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards set forth by the educational institution. At ICC, students receiving state and/or federal veteran education benefits must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA and must maintain a 67% cumulative course completion rate to maintain eligibility for education benefits. The exact rules for satisfactory academic progress may be obtained at

To have military education credits evaluated and posted to Illinois Central College records, official transcripts from The Community College of the Air Force or the Army (AARTS) must be sent directly to the College from the appropriate institution. It is the student’s responsibility to request the transcript be sent directly to Illinois Central College. Any other military education for which students wish to receive consideration for credit must be listed on the DD-214 or DD-295. To ensure maximum veteran education benefits, please contact the ICC Veterans Affairs Office.

To ensure maximum veteran education benefit, please contact the ICC Veterans Affairs Office.

Withdrawal Due to Call to Active Duty

In accordance with Illinois Statute (330 ILCS 60/5.2), students who are called to active military service have the right to receive a refund of tuition and fees applicable to their registration when called to duty for a period of seven or more consecutive days. Withdrawal from the course will not impact the grade point average of the service member. Please provide a copy of your orders to the ICC Veterans Affairs Coordinator once orders have been received that may impact your semester classes.

VA Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code § 3679 subsection (e), Illinois Central College adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.

This school will not:

  • Prevent the student's enrollment;

  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;

  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding ;

  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students will be required to:

  • Provide the enrolling institution with a copy of their VA Certification of Eligibility (COE)

  • A “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website; eBenefits; or a VAF 28-1905 form, for chapter 31 authorization purposes.

Additional criteria to qualify for this provision are also required for such students and listed below:

  • No other requirements other than COE submission.